Her lesson? "Vain is the attempt to violate Mother Nature's rules."
What did the actor find out?
- All sexually-active human beings will transmit the virus at some point in their lives.
- HPV arises in both monogamous and non-monogamous males.
- Mother Nature's revenge--human papillomavirus (HPV)--is gender-biased.
FYI, a news item: HPV is a family of 100+ virus types that can live in the flat, thin cells on the surface of the skin, cervix, vagina, anus, vulva, penis, mouth and throat. The virus is spread through contact with infected skin, mucous membranes, and bodily fluids. Some types are transmitted during intercourse and/or oral sex.
But, HPV is gender biased?
Yep. In males who engage in oral sex--like Douglas--Mother Nature can unleash oral cancer in retribution for using the body in ways Mother Nature didn't intend.
- ~13.2k new HPV oral cancers are diagnosed in U.S. men annually.
- The virus is now found in 70% of all new oral cancers.
- HPV-related tumors have increased 300%+ during the past 2 decades.
- No screening test exists for oropharyngeal sites--the tongue, soft palate, tonsils, the throat behind the nasal cavity--and most HPV-related cancer usually don’t appear until it's in an advanced state.
- ~50% of late-stage patients die within 5 years.
- Males are 400% more likely than females to be diagnosed with oral cancer.
- This difficult-to-detect and difficult-to-treat disease has overtaken cervical cancer as the most common HPV-related malignancy in the United States.
- For some unknown reason, males--more than females--are less capable of fighting HPV and, thus, are more likely to get reinfected (called "auto-inoculation" of a dormant virus) because HPV is a pesky and persistent virus. And of those males who get reinfected, many are celibate at the time.
- Treatment--surgery, chemotherapy, radiation--can have disfiguring, disabling side effects.
So, guys: Want to try to fool Mother Nature? Go ahead at your own peril because there may very well be negative health consequences.
Just ask Michael Douglas.
That's the public health warning aspect of this post.
But, there's another angle to this story.
With so many young males today becoming "addicted" to pornography and firm in the false belief that engaging in what they view on a screen of color-filled pixels has absolutely no negative consequences whatsoever, guess what the healthcare professionals are recommending to parents for their pubescent males? Yep: Vaccinating them against HPV with two shots of Gardasil.
Why? To prevent transmission of the virus and reduce the risk of HPV-related cancers.
The logic: "Since you are going to sexually involved anyway, let's inoculate you to protect you at against HPV and worse."
Right...as if Mother Nature won't mutate into more virulent forms of HPV that are even more resistant to medicine, as some STDs already have.
"It's not good to fool with Mother Nature!"
Let the discussion begin...
To access the website identified in this post, click on the following link: